Wednesday, 30 March 2016

Julie Nutting Canvas - Collage Couture - Postcard From Paris


This week I would like to show one of my canvasses that I have done over the last couple of years.  The first one is inspired by Julie Nutting from her amazing book “Collage Couture – Techniques for Creating Fashionable Art”   

In it she shows you how to draw your own girls as well as lots of projects to try.  I highly recommend it if you like girly art and mixed media.




I did my own version of her Postcard From Paris canvas but I used an image of the Eiffel Tower from a trip there and converted it using the threshold effect in my photo editing software.

The background is some patterned paper from my stash from a pad I bought at a thrift store of all places. Then I laid down some lilac tissue paper with home-made mod podge and some strips of book paper here and there.  I stamped with Stazon ink using a French text stamp.  Around the edge I used a couple of other stamps from my stash.

I then added the Julie Nutting doll that I had made from using the book as a template and dressed her in patterned paper from my stash.  Once she was glued on and dry I painted her hair with acrylic paint using a couple of shades to add dimension.  Her shoes were coloured using a black Sharpie pen.

I made a stencil of the word Paris and used brown paint for the lettering and outlined the letters in a darker shade.  I then added paper flowers, a small metal charm and a butterfly element in similar tones and she was done.

The little plaque was made from air dry clay and I stamped into it with a rubber stamp.  When dry I coloured it with some distress ink in Dusty Concorde and some bronze ink I had in my stash.

Links to her blog etc:
 Julie Nutting Blog         Julie Nutting Art - Facebook Page

Julie Nutting Website





No comments :

Post a Comment